Massage therapy addresses different needs through varying techniques, which aims to relax muscle tension and improve lymphatic and blood circulation through mild pressure applied to the muscle groups of the body.
Swedish Massage is the recommended prenatal massage method during pregnancy because it addresses many common discomforts associated with the skeletal and circulatory changes brought on by hormone shifts during pregnancy.
Back pain is one of the most common complaints for a pregnant woman.
Massage therapy during pregnancy can often relieve many of the common side effects of pregnancy, whether you suffer from backaches, headaches, edema (swelling) or other pregnancy related symptoms. When you are pregnant, your skeletal structure supports an increasing amount of weight, your organs shift to accommodate the baby, and you go through significant emotional and psychological changes.
Studies have shown that prenatal massage can:
- Relieve depression, anxiety and nervousness caused by hormonal changes
- Increase blood and lymph circulation, which helps to reduce swelling and improves the oxygen supply to the baby
- Relieve muscle discomfort such as cramping, tightening and stiffness
- Reduce pain and encourage relaxation, which can facilitate labour
- Promote relaxation and relieve insomnia
- Relieve stress on weight-bearing joints such as lower back, pelvis and ankles
- Alleviate neck, shoulder and back pain caused by muscle imbalance.
Regular massage during pregnancy is very enjoyable!